Each year Canadians are after that must-have gift to complete their holiday lists. Whether it’s a toy for a child or a new gadget for a big kid, there are always a few items everyone is after.
This year is no different, and eBay Canada says it has a good idea of what’s going to be at the top of everyone’s list this season.
“Working with trend experts and our sellers, we get a sneak peak into the season’s must-haves and biggest bets,” says eBay country manager, Andrea Stairs. “Before the holiday season even begins, we know which gifts will hit the top of any wish list.”
Here are some of this year’s must-have items, along with a fun, retrospective look into the eBay vault to compare the hot items of 2012 with those from a decade ago:
• 2012 – The iPhone 5 and iPhone4S from Apple, along with the Samsung Galaxy III and Galaxy II are sure to be on many wish lists this year.
• 2002 – The Motorola i95 flip phone was the top-selling cell phone – that’s before smartphones became all the rage…remember those tiny screens?
• 2012 – This year the heavy hitters are expected to be Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Assassin’s Creed III and New Super Mario Bros 2 consoles and video games. The WII Nu will also be a popular gift.
• 2002 – Grand Theft Auto Vice City for PS2 was a favourite buy, along with Yoshi’s Island Super Mario 3 (Gameboy Advance) and Perfect Dark (N64). While popular game themes have remained consistent through the years, the graphics have certainly evolved.
• 2012 – A few items are predicted to be hot sellers. For girls, the FAO Schwarz 150th Anniversary Madame Alexander Wendy doll and newer Lalaloopsy dolls are expected to be popular. For boys, with the release of blockbuster movies like Batman and the Avengers, action figures from those films will likely be making their way into stockings across the country.
• 2002 – The most popular action figure and character toys were Storm Jet from Transformers and a talking Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story 2, both of which are now ‘classics’ and also available on eBay.