According to a survey commissioned by the Florida Department of Citrus, 38 per cent of Canadians rate their stress level as high. While 77 per cent believe that eating a balanced diet – with seven to 10 daily servings of fruits and vegetables can help their physical and mental well-being – 36 per cent say that stress contributes to their inability to maintain a healthy diet. This can lead to illness, another common side effect for one in four Canadians.
“It's important to maintain a balanced diet, especially when you're stressed,” says registered dietitian, Lydia Knorr. “Citrus fruit and juice are delicious, easy to incorporate into meals, and they provide key vitamins that help support the immune system as well as overall health.”
This recipe is a healthy update on a winter favourite that incorporates Florida orange and grapefruit juices into a comforting dish.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) smoked paprika
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 mL each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each Florida orange and grapefruit juices
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh oregano
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Florida grapefruit juice
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, green and jalapeno peppers, chili powder, cumin and paprika for 8 minutes. Stir in beans, tomatoes, orange and grapefruit juices, tomato paste, cilantro and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mash avocado until smooth. Stir in sour cream, cilantro, grapefruit juice and salt. To serve: dollop each serving with avocado cream.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Choosing The Right Flooring - June 21, 2019
- Bidets: 5 Common Myths & The Truth You Need To Know - June 21, 2019
- Kitchens We Love: Lindsay’s Multifunctional Family Kitchen - June 20, 2019