Don't feel guilty about the simplicity of these hors d'oeuvres—they're sure to be a big hit and get devoured in a flash. It's important to finely chop the peanuts so they adhere to the pastry. More tasty recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
- 2 cups (500 mL) old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed (14 oz/397 g)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine cheese, peanuts and cayenne pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the puff pastry into a 12-inch (30-cm) square. Trim to size if needed. Brush egg all over surface. Sprinkle half of the cheese and peanut mixture over lower half of square, leaving about 1/2-inch (1-cm) border on three sides. Fold top half of pastry over bottom half, pinching edges firmly to seal. Using rolling pin, lightly roll over pastry to seal layers together. Brush with egg.
- Using a sharp knife, cut rectangle vertically into 1/2-inch (1-cm) thick strips, each 6 inches (15 cm) long. Twist each strip several times and place in a single layer on prepared pan.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and cheese mixture. Bake in centre of preheated oven, rotating pans halfway through, until straws are puffed and golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Once made, straws can be kept in an airtight container for a couple of days or frozen for a month.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018