‘Tis the season to primp your house for that festive time of year. And while holiday lights and tinsel will never go out of style, outdoor winter planters have become a spectacle in their own right. They add the perfect amount of greenery, colour, and eco-friendly cheer to brighten your walkway, front door, or balcony.
Follow these easy steps to create curbside appeal with beautiful winter planters.
1. Get inspired. There are over 1000 images of winter gardens online as well as a huge selection of videos from décor mavens revealing their favourite spin on the holiday planter. Before you start your own project, make sure you have a vision of the look you’d like to achieve and double check that the colour and sizing fit with your outdoor space.
2. Start with a solid base. Keep your winter extra green with earth-savvy planters. Crescendo Urns made by Multy Home are a great option. Made using Ontario recycled tire rubber that would otherwise end up in a landfill, this planter is designed to withstand the cold weather. You can also find recycled rubber mulch to fill the base from a variety of manufacturers. This material is ideal because it drains quickly; resists mold, mildew and fungi; and is non-toxic.
3. Create your masterpiece. Consider the climate and the type of foliage that will last throughout the season. Try hardy materials such as evergreen boughs, birch, dogwood, or winterberries. Experiment with heights and textures and add some non-traditional components to make it your own.
4. Complete the package. Consider additional ways to dress up your outdoors with other earth-friendly décor, such as wreaths made from leftover greenery or even recycled ribbon and corks. Add some function and fashion to your front step with a welcome mat made from recycled tires. If you’re planning on stringing up some lights, just make sure they’re energy efficient.
If you are looking to enhance your home, both indoors and out, find creative, eco-friendly solutions on rethinktires.ca.
Attention editors: This article is for distribution in Ontario only.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018