For 100 years• Hellmann's Mayonnaise has been bringing people together through delicious meals, like this classic Real Delicious Chocolate Cake.
Didn't know that you could bake with Hellmann's? Substituting mayonnaise for eggs and butter helps add an unmistakable moistness that has been a secret ingredient since the recipe was developed in 1937.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise
- 1-1/3 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch/ 23 cm/ 1.5 L, round cake pans*; set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting or generously sprinkle with confectioners *Or, prepare cake mix as above in 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23-cm / 3.5 L) baking pan and bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Did you know?
• Canada's Food Guide actually recommends eating a small amount (30-45 mL or 2-3 tbsp) of unsaturated fat each day. Some oils, like mayonnaise and margarine, are actually considered good fats and Canada's Food Guide recommends eating a small amount (30-45 mL or 2-3 tbsp) of unsaturated fat each day.
Hellmann's is celebrating 100 years of helping families Bring Out the Best. Visit Facebook.com/HellmannsCanada for more delicious recipe ideas.