Congee is a slow cooked rice porridge eaten in many Asian countries. It can be flavoured with seafood, pork, chicken, vegetables or whatever is on hand. You can serve soy sauce, sesame oil, green onions and peanuts in individual bowls, allowing everyone to add their own toppings.
“The great thing about this dish is that it can be served any time of day – from breakfast to dinner,” says President's Choice executive chef Tom Filippou. “If you don't have the time to make this in the morning, cook it the night before to end of step two and chill it in the fridge partially covered in a microwaveable casserole or bowl. Reheat partially covered in the microwave the next morning on high for eight to 10 minutes, stirring every two minutes. Slice the onions and chop the peanuts while the congee is reheating.”
- 1 cup (250 mL) PC Thai Jasmine Rice, rinsed
- 2 slices ginger root (each about the size of a quarter), peeled
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 pkg (240 g) PC Sustainably Sourced Wild Pacific Halibut Skinless Fillets, thawed and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced green beans
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) soy sauce
- 4 tsp (20 mL) pure sesame oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry roasted, lightly seasoned peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro leaves
- Bring rice and 10 cups (2.5 L) water to a boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in ginger and salt. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until rice has broken apart and is the consistency of thin porridge.
- Cut fish into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes. Remove ginger from rice mixture; discard. Stir fish and beans into rice; cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, or until fish is cooked through.
- Ladle into 8 soup bowls. Drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil. Top with green onions, peanuts and cilantro.
Chef Tom's Tip: For a heartier dish, replace 4 cups (1 L) of the water with one 900 mL carton of chicken broth.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Yummy Christmas Mocktails Perfect for Christmas Dinner - November 12, 2018
- Candy Cane Pavlova - November 12, 2018
- Designer Space: Christmas Treasure Box - November 12, 2018