Like a needle and thread or peanut butter and jelly, summer and fun just go together. Whether you're out enjoying the warm weather hiking in the mountains, splashing in the pool or playing at the park, snacks are key to keeping everyone happy and nourished.
The good news? Grapes from California are the perfect, portable snack. Just a quick rinse and you're good to go − no peeling or coring required. Grapes are sturdy so they travel well. Plus the juicy, hydrating goodness of this fruit can help power you through those hot summer days. When the gang's all there, no worries either - grapes are super to share.
While grapes are pretty perfect as is, you can also go a little fancy with this frozen treat on skewers. Threaded with bananas and grapes and drizzled with dark chocolate, it is a nutritious alternative to ice cream and a delightful way to add some fruity fun to snack time. Your kids will love them, and so will adults.
- 2 firm ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup red California grapes (about 16)
- 1/2 cup green California grapes (about 16)
- 8 10-inch wooden skewers
- 1 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Cut the banana into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Place in a small bowl and toss gently with the orange juice. Skewer fruit, alternating two grapes for each piece of banana, and place fruit skewers onto a lined tray.
- Place chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir well, and microwave another 10 seconds if necessary to melt chocolate. Using a spoon, drizzle melted chocolate onto fruit skewers.
- Place the tray in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Once frozen, skewers may be transferred to a sealable plastic bag where they will keep in the freezer for up to a week. Allow to soften at room temperature for 5 minutes before eating.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- How to Accommodate Special Diets this Holiday Season - November 23, 2017
- Sunshine Kiwifruit Smoothie Bowl - November 21, 2017
- Honey Banana Pops - November 21, 2017