Food becomes art when these delicate, flower-inspired, open dumplings bloom. Reminiscent of dim sum fare but far more visually stimulating, these beauties are certain to spark conversation.
- Lean ground chicken 6 oz. (170 g)
- Finely chopped green onion 1 tbsp. (15 mL)
- Finely grated carrot 1 tbsp. (15 mL)
- Minced red pepper 1 tbsp. (15 mL)
- Oyster sauce 2 tsp. (10 mL)
- Cornstarch 1 tsp. (5 mL)
- Finely grated gingerroot 1 tsp. (5 mL)
- Garlic clove, minced 1
- Soy sauce 1 tsp. (5 mL)
- Round dumpling wrappers 8
- Suey choy (Chinese cabbage) leaves 2
- Hoisin sauce 1 tbsp. (15 mL)
- Water 1 tbsp. (15 mL)
- Combine first 9 ingredients.
- Spoon chicken mixture onto centres of dumpling wrappers. Dampen edges with water. Gather up edges around filling, leaving tops open. Tap dumplings gently on work surface to flatten bottoms slightly.
- Line bottom of a large bamboo steamer with suey choy leaves. Arrange dumplings so they do not touch each other or the sides of the steamer. Place steamer on a rack set over simmering water in a wok or Dutch oven. Cook, covered, for about 15 minutes until filling is no longer pink and temperature reaches 175ºF (80ºC).
- Combine hoisin sauce and water and drizzle over dumplings.
Alternative method: If you don’t have a bamboo steamer, arrange dumplings in a parchment paper-lined 9 x 9 inch (22 x 22 cm) baking pan, making sure they do not touch the sides of the pan or each other. Place a wire rack in the bottom of a roasting pan, and pour in water until 1 inch (2.5 cm) deep. Bring to a boil on the stovetop, then set the baking pan on the wire rack. Steam, covered, for about 15 minutes until the filling is no longer pink and temperature reaches 175ºF (80ºC).
- Reprinted from Small Plates For Sharing © Company’s Coming Publishing Limited www.companyscoming.com
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jo Alcorn’s Trends 2 Watch: Bathrooms - January 10, 2018
- Expert Advice: Getting the Best Bang for Your Bathroom Renovation Buck - January 10, 2018
- Accessing Your Home Equity: Remortgaging vs Home Equity Loans - January 2, 2018