This super fresh summer salad takes mere minutes to barbecue. Look for haloumi cheese in the deli section. When cooked, haloumi cheese melts and its delicious, slightly salty flavour perfectly complements both the sweetness of the grapes and the flavour of the asparagus.
- 1 lb California asparagus (500 g)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz haloumi cheese (125 g)
- 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup California red or green table grapes, cut in half (250 mL)
- 1 tbsp chopped mint or snipped chives or a combo (15 mL)
- Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium. Snap tough ends from asparagus; either discard or use for stock. Place asparagus in a bowl and toss with 1 tsp (5 mL) oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Whisk 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice with remaining oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Slice haloumi into 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) pieces, and place in a small dish. Drizzle with half the lemon juice mixture, and turn to coat haloumi. Place asparagus on grill and barbecue until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Place haloumi on barbecue for the last minute, turning once, and watching carefully. Remove once it starts to melt.
- To serve, line asparagus on a platter, scatter with grapes and place haloumi on top. Sprinkle with herbs, and then drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.