What’s the proper way to store mushrooms after you get them home? Sure, they taste great and are simple to use, but many are unsure of how to properly store and care for their mushrooms after purchase. Here are five top tips on mushroom care and storage you probably didn’t know.
1. Don’t wash mushrooms as soon as you get them home. Unlike other produce, mushrooms are very porous so any exposure to water before they’re used may cause unwanted discolouration and will cause them to spoil faster. A quick rinse before use or simply brushing the dirt away with a damp paper towel are the best ways of ensuring they’re clean.
2. Keep them in brown paper bags. Mushrooms should always be stored in brown paper bags in the refrigerator. The paper bag helps to absorb unwanted moisture, keeping them drier and fresher longer. Even mushrooms that are packaged should be stored in a paper bag after they’re opened to help avoid them sweating out their moisture.
3. Always store mushrooms in the refrigerator. The ideal temperature for preserving their quality is between 0°C and 2°C (32°F to 25°F). It’s the cool temperature that prevents the mushrooms from oxidizing and turning brown, similar to what happens to apple slices when left out on the counter.
4. Eat ’em sooner rather than later. Mushrooms are best when used within a few days of purchase. When kept in the refrigerator in a paper bag they will stay fresh for 4 to 5 days.
Find more tips and information at www.mushrooms.ca.
Attention editors: This article is for distribution in Ontario only.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 4 Ways to Add Character to a Monochromatic Kitchen - May 25, 2018
- Ask an Expert: Refacing VS Refinishing a Kitchen - May 25, 2018
- Ask an Expert: Light, Airy & Interesting Kitchens - May 25, 2018