When it comes to comfort foods, nothing quite compares to warm caramelized onions or stretchy melted cheese – and this appetizer has plenty of both. Created by TV host and cookbook author, Sabrina Tutino, these Mozzarellissima Pan-Seared Scallops with Caramelized Onions and Figs are sure to please any palate at your next get-together. More tasty recipes can be found online at www.mozzarellissima.ca.
- olive oil, to taste
- 4 to 6 large sea scallops (approximately 1 lb (500 g))
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup (175 mL) brandy, to deglaze (or white wine, water or broth)
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) fig jam
- 8 oz (250 g) Mozzarellissima cheese, grated and divided
- fresh parsley, to taste
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and place the scallops in the pan, ensuring they do not overlap. Sear scallops for a few minutes on each side without moving, until they are a nice golden colour. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same hot pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and toss in onions. Stir well to coat the onions with oil, and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook the onions for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until they become soft and dark caramel in colour. If they begin to stick to the pan, add a splash of brandy (or white wine, water or broth) to deglaze and continue cooking. This step can be repeated until the desired colour is obtained.
- Remove the pan from heat and thoroughly mix in the fig jam with the onions.
- Place 4 to 6 ramekins on a cookie sheet, placing one scallop in each, topped with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the onion and fig mixture. Sprinkle with grated Mozzarellissima.
- Cook for 5 minutes on broil until cheese is melted and slightly golden brown in colour.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley and serve.
- For easier grating, put Mozzarellissima in the freezer for 20 minutes, then grate.
- Caramelized onions can also be used to add great flavour to soups, sandwiches or salads.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Getting Ready for IDS19 - January 14, 2019
- Furniture Staging Tips - January 14, 2019
- Design Trends and Real Estate: What You Need to Know - January 14, 2019