Tacos make a quick meal or great snacks. In this recipe grated vegetables replace the beef so it is a great way to increase vegetable consumption for your family. However, if desired, add beef as directed in the variation for Taco Salad.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 lb sliced Mushrooms
- 1 (35g) envelope reduced salt taco seasoning mix
- ¼ cup water
- 12 taco shells, warmed
- 4 romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves, thinly sliced
- Garnish: finely diced tomato (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add carrot, zucchini, taco seasoning mix and water, cook and stir to mix well. Lower heat to medium, cover and cook about 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover and bring to boil until juices evaporate. To serve, place about ¼ cup (50 mL) filling in each taco shell and top with lettuce and garnish if desired with tomato. Serve with guacamole if desired.
Tips: To save time, buy pre-sliced mushrooms and grate carrot and zucchini in food processor. To warm taco shells separate and place the shells onto a baking tray and heat in 350ºF (180º) for 10 minutes or until hot.
Variation: Taco Salad: Reduce oil to 1 tbsp (15 mL); add ½ lb (250 g) lean ground beef with onion and cook, stirring often until beef is browned; then add mushrooms, carrot and zucchini and continue as directed above. Serve hot mixture over salad greens; top with sour cream and chopped green onions. Garnish plate with tomato wedges and taco chips.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Harry Eastwood’s Light Chocolate Cake - September 30, 2020
- 7 Simple Steps to a Healthier Lifestyle - September 30, 2020
- Your Questions Answered with Bryan Baeulmer, Carson Arthur and more! - September 30, 2020