Give your guests the gift of great food this holiday season with the delicious, nutritious, and festive combination of pork tenderloin and port wine.
Port adds elegant flavour, depth, and richness to holiday meals. It easily stands up to the heat of cooking and combines well with a variety of foods, particularly fresh pork. Lower in sodium and leaner than most meats, pork is rich in protein, B vitamins, iron, and magnesium.
This recipe combines duBreton Certified Humane and organic pork with ruby port — a deep red fortified wine with a bright, fruity bouquet that perfectly complements the natural taste of high quality pork tenderloin and the woodsy flavour of sage. For a light, festive meal, pair this with cauliflower or quinoa.
- One pork tenderloin, sliced into 8 even medallions
- 2 tsp (3 mL) fresh sage, chopped
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) green onions, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) ruby port
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using the heel of your hand, gently press each piece of pork tenderloin to approximately 1/4 inch thickness and set aside.
- Season each medallion with sage, salt, and pepper and lightly coat with flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter with oil. Over medium-high heat and cooking in batches, brown each pork medallion; approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm under aluminum foil.
- Add onions to skillet and sauté until golden, approximately 2 minutes. Gradually add port to skillet, bring to a boil and cook while stirring until slightly reduced.
- Lower heat, return pork to skillet, and simmer until sauce is thickened; approximately 3 minutes. Remove pork, and let rest wrapped or tented in aluminum foil for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining butter to pan, stir sauce until blended. Place pork on serving plates and top with sauce.
Attention editors: This article is for distribution in Ontario only.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018