With the dropping temperatures, we often crave the comfort of a hearty dish at the end of the day. But don't forgo the freshness of a seasonal salad just because winter is here. Warm salads with seasonal fruits and vegetables are especially wonderful in the winter months, adding a dose of sunshine and nutrients.
Professional chef Matt Basile has developed a delicious and aromatic salad featuring roasted apples and fennel. He recommends substituting raw produce with roasted fruits and veggies to create warm and seasonal dishes. This dish can be made in a matter of minutes all the while keeping important nutrients inside. While best prepared in the Panasonic Steam Convection Oven, this recipe can be created with a standard oven as well.
- 1 fennel, cut into 8 large pieces (remove stalks but keep the tips)
- 2 Macintosh or honey crisp apples, cut into 8 pieces each
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 small yellow tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 small red tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Place fennel, onion, tomato, and apple pieces in a large bowl. Add canola oil and all the dry spices. Toss in the bowl.
- Place on convection oven grill pan. Preheat the unit to 200°C (400°F) on the convection setting and cook for 15 minutes. When the 15 minutes are up, set oven to Grill 1 and roast for another 10 minutes. Serve.
Find more great recipes for creating healthy dishes online at panasonic.com/ca/steam and join the conversation online by following #GetHealthyFast.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018