Before you roll out the wallet, think about what household projects are likely to provide the best return on your investment, say specialists in this field.
“There are a myriad of outdoor home improvements, but some provide better resale value for your home than others,” says Carla Bouchard, a broker with Royal LePage Metro in Moncton, New Brunswick. “Be sure to invest your time, money and resources in a project that is going pay back when it comes time to sell your home.” Bouchard recommends these top three outdoor home improvements:
1. Build a deck or patio. This project not only adds visual interest to the exterior of your home, it also gives you a chance to enjoy your outdoor living space to the fullest. During the spring and summer, patios are spaces for entertaining guests, barbecuing, and leisure time. Whatever your motivation, building a deck or patio will encourage you and your family to get outside and enjoy summer.
2. Install a sprinkler system. On average, homeowners use 50 per cent more water than necessary on their lawns. This increases hydro bills and causes flooding. Automatic lawn sprinkler systems are designed with busy homeowner lifestyles in mind. Installing a sprinkler system allows proper irrigation through timing and even water distribution. Although initial installation can be pricey, you may end up saving money in the long-term.
3. Landscape your yard. Landscaping is the simplest way to add visual interest to your outdoor living space. Whether through gardening, building a pond, or installing a fence, landscaping is a sure way to create a return on your investment. However, you should always elicit the guidance of a trained professional before tackling a landscaping project.
If you are looking to sell your home or simply enjoy it more, use the summer to make exterior improvements. More summer home improvement ideas can be found online at www.royallepage.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 11 Bathroom Renovation Ideas to Freshen Up Your Bathroom - December 13, 2018
- Designer Space: Simple Drama - December 13, 2018
- Designer Space: Vintage Modern Renovation - December 11, 2018