The holidays mark the time of year when we can indulge guilt-free in life’s pleasures — spending time with loved ones, relaxing with a festive movie or two, and best of all, baking (and eating!) some delicious treats. Make some of your most delicious treats yet with these hints:
1. Use a scale. It’s true what they say — baking is a science, while cooking is an art. Having the exact amount of a required ingredient is crucial and getting it wrong will affect the consistency and texture of your baking. Always weigh your ingredients with a scale to make sure you get it right.
2. Don’t rush. Baking isn’t about taking short cuts. If a recipe calls for 300°F for 40 minutes, don’t cut it down to 25 minutes by turning it up to 425°F. Always allow yourself enough time to make it right; your guests will thank you.
3. Quality over quantity. The best baking starts with the highest quality ingredients, and the hero of almost all baking is butter. For the most decadent flavour, try Lactantia’s new European Style butter, which has 2 per cent more fat than regular butter to make your cookies creamier and softer, and cakes richer.
4. Pay attention to temperatures. When a recipe calls for room temperature eggs or dairy products, heed the instructions. Room temperature ingredients emulsify more easily into other dry ingredients and can alter the chemistry of your batters.
5. Don’t forget to decorate. Personalize your cookies and cakes with some custom icing designs. Set yourself up with unique icing tips and sprinkles and turn the decoration process into an art project. If the kids are in the kitchen with you, let them choose the colours and patterns for added family fun.
Find easy and delicious holiday baking recipes like maple pecan scones or European buttery croissants at www.lactantia.ca.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Toast the Season - November 25, 2020
- Chef Approved Holiday Recipes & Gift Ideas - November 25, 2020
- 3 Top Exterior Renovation Tips for Creating Undeniable Curb Appeal - November 25, 2020