Brown Rice Veggie Patties With Tomato Relish
Burger lovers who shy away from soy will love this vegetarian version. Brown rice and lentils form the base of this tasty patty, topped with a lively relish.
- Large Roma (plum) tomatoes, diced 4
- Finely chopped sweet onion 1/2 cup 125 mL
- Balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup 60 mL
- Chopped fresh basil 1/4 cup 60 mL
- Extra-virgin olive oil 2 tbsp. 30 mL
- Liquid honey 2 tsp. 10 mL
- Dried crushed chilies 1/2 tsp. 2 mL
- Salt 1/4 tsp. 1 mL
- Olive oil 2 tsp. 10 mL
- Chopped fresh brown mushrooms 2 cups 500 mL
- Chopped sweet onion 1 cup 250 mL
- Garlic cloves, minced 2
- Finely chopped red pepper 1 cup 250 mL
- Canned lentils, rinsed and drained 1 1/2 cups 375 mL
- Large egg, fork-beaten 1
- Cooked brown rice 1 1/2 cups 375 mL
- Fine dry bread crumbs 1/4 cup 60 mL
- Montreal steak spice 2 tsp. 10 mL
- Pumpernickel cocktail bread slices 12
- Combine first 8 ingredients and let stand, covered, for at least 1 hour to blend flavours.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium-high. Add next 3 ingredients and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until mushrooms are browned.
- Add red pepper and cook for about 3 minutes until tender-crisp and liquid is evaporated. Transfer to food processor.
- Add lentils and process with on/off motion until lentils are mashed but not puréed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in remaining 4 ingredients and divide into 12 portions. Shape portions into patties, about 2 1/2 inches (6.4 cm) in diameter. Grill on direct medium-high heat for about 5 minutes per side until heated through.
- Top each bread slice with 1 patty. Drain liquid from tomato mixture. Spoon tomato mixture over patties.
The patties can be made up to one day ahead.
Reprinted from Practical Gourmet Good Friends, Great Grilling © Company’s Coming Publishing Limited www.companyscoming.com
Recipe Courtesy of CanadianHomeTrends.com
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 5 House Plants That Thrive in Low-Light - March 27, 2023
- Six Key Benefits of Using a Waterproof Coating for Parking Lots - March 27, 2023
- Home Renos and Stress - March 27, 2023
Leave a Comment