“Braising is one of my favorite methods of cooking. Low and slow is how you do it.”
3 lbs short ribs, bone-in
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
4 cloves of garlic
1 ½ cups beef broth
1 ½ cups red wine, or sherry
2 sprigs rosemary
2 sticks cinnamon salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Season the short ribs generously with salt and pepper.
3. Sear the short ribs and heat the vegetable oil in a deep, wide Dutch oven or sauté pan over medium to high heat.
4. Add the short ribs in one layer, leaving room between each piece. You may have to work in batches if necessary.
5. Sear the short ribs for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, letting them brown.
6. Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion and garlic around the browned short ribs.
7. Let the onions sweat for about 5 minutes or until they soften.
8. Deglaze the pan with wine or sherry, and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
9. Add the broth, herbs and cinnamon and bring to a simmer, then cover the pan.
10. Simmer for 10 minutes.
11. Put the covered pan in the oven and bake for 2 to 2 ½ hours, or until the meat is very tender and coming away from the bone.
12. Make sure to rest for 15 minutes before serving. Use the braising liquid as a sauce
TIP Short ribs are a very fatty cut, you can skim some fat off the top or refrigerate overnight and then scrape away the layer of fat from the top before reheating.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Multi-generational Households: Exploring Your Options - October 19, 2021
- Beef Lo Mein Recipe from Chef Lynn Crawford - October 19, 2021
- Trendsetter: Natalie Lagace - October 12, 2021