When mid-morning or afternoon hunger hits, that dreaded energy drain can make us reach for a little boost. It is tempting to grab indulgent snack foods, so it’s wise to plan out well-portioned, healthy snacks ahead of time.
These perfect portion ideas from the Almond Board of California make smart snacking decisions easy:
• A nutritious snack is packed with nutrients and has fewer than 200 calories.
• Energy-boosting snacks should contain protein, fibre and very little added sugar.
• A perfect portion of almonds is one ounce (28g) or 23 almonds – about a handful – and contains 3.5 grams of fibre and 6 grams of protein.
• One tablespoon (15 mL) of almond butter has about 100 calories, 1 gram of fibre and 2 grams of protein to help keep you satisfied until your next meal.
Try these power-pairings for the ideal mid-morning or mid-afternoon pick-me-up:
• Whole-grain bread or apple slices with almond butter;
• A small handful of whole natural almonds and dried fruit;
• Sliced turkey with mustard;
• Low-fat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese and granola;
• Air-popped vegetable chips or soy chips and hummus;
• Handful of whole natural almonds and an ounce of cheese;
• An ounce each of dark chocolate and almonds.
Or, assemble this bite-sized snack. With only three ingredients, it is simple to prepare, plus the 6 grams of protein and 3.5 grams of fibre will provide you with energy during those mid-morning or afternoon slumps.
Makes 2 cups
½ cup (125 mL) dried black or golden figs
¼ cup (50 mL) reduced-fat cream cheese¼ cup (50 mL) whole natural almonds
Make a lengthwise slit in each fig, not cutting all the way through. Spread a teaspoon of cream cheese inside each hole, and stuff with one or two almonds. Serve.
More information is available online at AlmondBoard.com.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Small Kitchen Space? Make The Most Out Of It! - September 25, 2021
- It’s Already Nice. Why Do I Need Staging? - September 25, 2021
- Why you Should Shop for Furniture Through Higher-End Stores - September 25, 2021