Breakfast is the most vital meal of the day. However, a quarter of Canadian moms (26%) feel they are too rushed to prepare breakfast for their children in the morning. As breakfast champions and in honour of World Nutella Day on February 5th Nutella is highlighting the importance of breakfast throughout the month and providing tips and helpful recipes. One strategy to help during the morning rush is to choose a dish that can be created in advance, such as Nutella breakfast muffins. This allows less time to be spent on meal preparation in the morning and more time enjoying breakfast together as a family.
- 1 cup (500mL) all purpose flour
- ¾ cup (180mL) whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup (60mL) quick cook oats
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking soda
- ¾ cup (180mL) Low fat milk (2% or less M.F)
- ¾ cup (180mL) unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup (60mL) honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250mL) fresh or frozen raspberries
- ¾ cup Nutella
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F (190°c).
- Spray a 12-muffin, non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together, flours, oats, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, honey, egg and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Fold in raspberries and spoon batter equally between the 12 muffins.
- Bake muffins for 19 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool completely.
- Slice the muffin open and spread with 1 tablespoon of Nutella. Great for breakfast on the go. Muffins can be made ahead and frozen.
- Pair with a glass of milk and handful of extra berries.
For more recipes and to learn about different individuals and organizations who are championing breakfast in Canada, please visit Facebook.com/TheBreakfastTable