Your home’s water heater is an essential part of daily life. It’s easy to overlook how necessary hot water is for comfort until you have to go without it. Hot water is used for cleaning, cooking, washing clothing, bathing, and other basic activities. Most modern homes go through a great deal of hot water on a daily basis just through normal activities. However, like any other appliance, your hot water heater requires regular care, maintenance, and professional servicing. When your water heater starts to have performance issues, these can quickly become noticeable and a sign you should contact professional water heater repair services as soon as possible.
Eight Signs Your Water Heater Needs Professional Servicing
- You Still Have Warm Water But Not Hot Water: if your hot water heater can still produce warm water but not hot water, you could have an issue with its heating element or another part. Without regular upkeep, parts can wear down over time, needing replacement or repair.
- Reduced Hot Water Supply: another sign you need to have your water heater repaired is a reduction in your overall hot water supply. While your water heater may produce hot water, it loses the ability to produce the amounts you need or are used to. Common causes of this issue include sediment build-up in your hot water hearer’s tank or heating element damage.
- Water Temperature Fluctuations: if your water fluctuates between being too hot or too cold, this can be a sign of an underlying mechanical issue. There are various parts that control water temperature that, if damaged, can cause a reduction in water heater efficiency. In addition to making water use, unpredictable temperature fluctuations can lead to increased energy bills.
- Discolored Water: if your water is discolored or rusty when you turn on the tap, that is a sign of something that needs repairing in your water heater. Discolored water can be a sign of corrosion inside the tank. A professional can detect the cause of this issue and what aspects of your home’s water system are being affected.
- Strange Noises: another sign your water heater needs repairs is strange noises. These noises can vary and include hissing sounds, rumbling, popping sounds, and other odd sounds. The sources of these strange sounds can include sediment building up inside your water heater, damage to the pressure relief valve, and other mechanical concerns. Regular servicing such as flushing and draining your water heater can help prevent these issues.
- Leaking: a leaking water heater requires immediate professional servicing. Leaks are a sign of a severe mechanical issue that can lead to water damage to your home and the need to replace your water heater. Leaks can be caused by faulty valves, a corroded tank, and loose connections.
- Higher Than Normal Energy Bills: if your water bill suddenly goes up without any changes in home water usage, this could be a sign of mechanical issues reducing your water heater’s efficiency. Mechanical issues can increase power usage, leading to your water heater costing more to run without any changes in usage habits.
- Frequent Circuit Breaker Resets: if your water heater is having electrical issues, this can be apparent in other ways aside from performance. If you need to reset the circuit breaker for your water heater, this can be a sign something is wrong with one of the components or of a short circuit. This can be dangerous, so you should contact a professional as soon as possible for diagnosis and repairs.
If you notice any of the above symptoms when trying to use hot water in your home, you should contact a professional today. Without professional maintenance and repair, your water heater may continue to degrade in performance until it needs to be replaced.