Going green in the bathroom is a great way to instill good environmentally conscious habits in your kids, conserve money and water as well as eliminate potential health risks to your family. Start making the transition to green beginning with these five tips:
Low-flush toilet technology and low-flow showerhead units have come a long way since they were first introduced, just a few short decades ago. In recent years, complaints of them simply not measuring up to their full-flow counterparts have often disappointed, but the realm of smart and eco-friendly bathroom technology has steeply burgeoned. Today, the sheer variety of water conserving bathroom fixtures available should be reason enough to replace your outdated toilets, sink heads and showerheads.
Or automate your bathroom completely
Mold is just as bad for you and your family as it is for the environment. Preemptively combat it a few ways:
- Keep your windows open and your bathrooms properly ventilated.
- Use baking soda, hot water and soap to tackle visible mildew and mold buildup.
- Spray a homemade mixture of water and one of the following: lavender oil, tea tree oil or white vinegar; to prevent mold from forming in the first place.
Look for eco-friendly and recyclable bathroom products
This extends from your toilet paper to your personal hygiene effects to your cleaning products. Eco-friendly materials are often no harder to obtain than their chemical-laden rivals.
When it comes to cleaning supplies, consider making your own, using natural bacteria fighters, such as lemon juice, baking soda and vinegar.
Replace your towels and shower curtain
Bath and wash towels made from organic cotton are not only thick and plushy, but producing them required less harmful pesticides to be released into the air. Along the same lines, you can replace your vinyl shower curtain – (a breeding ground for mildew) – also with a cotton alternative. In the shower curtain department, hemp, linen or even washable nylon make good, eco-friendly alternatives to that PVC-ridden vinyl.
Latest posts by Zakiya Kassam (see all)
- Designer Space: In With The Old - August 16, 2018
- Easy Updates That Will Increase Your Home’s Market Value - August 6, 2018
- Designer Space: Drama Queen - July 25, 2018