Concerned that your family isn’t getting enough fruits and veggies in their diet? Recent research from the Dietitians of Canada showed that almost 25 per cent of Canadians surveyed said they hadn’t consumed any fruits or vegetables the previous day. It can be hard to incorporate the up to 7 to 10 daily recommended servings of fruits and veggies into our diet, but it is possible. Try to get one dark green and one orange vegetable each day to help you get enough of the vitamin folate and vitamin A. There are different ways to serve fruit. A 250 mL serving of juice usually represents two full servings of fruits and vegetables, so enjoy a glass with breakfast or as a pick me up in the afternoon. Make popsicles using a flavourful and colourful juice, like Welch’s Grape Juice. Kids love the taste and the colour. Add in chunks of fruit for an added bonus. For a perfect after school snack try Chunky Grape Salsa. Everyone will love this modern take on an old favourite. It can be enjoyed with whole wheat chips, pita or as a side dish with fish or chicken.
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled and cut into small segments
- 8 ounces (225 grams) seedless red grapes, stemmed and cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup (100 mL) chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced jalapeños (optional)
- 1/2 cup (100 mL) Welch’s 100% Grape Juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- In a medium bowl, mix the orange, grapes, red pepper, cilantro, green onions, and jalapeño if using. Stir in the grape juice and lime juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more lime juice, if needed.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips, pita or flatbread.
More great recipes and quick and easy tips can be found online at www.welchs.com. Sources: Ipsos Reid, Snapshot of Canadians’ Eating Habits Reveals Many Not Eating Well, Release Date October 19, 2009
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- How to Accommodate Special Diets this Holiday Season - November 23, 2017
- Sunshine Kiwifruit Smoothie Bowl - November 21, 2017
- Honey Banana Pops - November 21, 2017