Simple yet elegant, great for both everyday and a holiday, stuffing can elevate meals to a new level. Today’s home cooks and chefs alike build on basic stuffing ingredients — like grain or bread, onions, celery, herbs and broth — and create interest with a layer of flavour from fruits such as grapes.
This stuffing recipe starts with a nutty combination of brown and wild rice. Onion and celery provide a contrast in flavour and texture, as do whole or halved California grapes, which also add a lively colour pop and extra juiciness.
Feeling creative? Substitute bulgur wheat, freekah, wheat berries or other grains for the rice, switch the onion to shallots or leeks, and pick your favourite colour of grape – or use all three!
Grapes and Wild Rice Stuffing
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 65-75 minutes
• 1 14.5 oz. can (428ml) vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup (125ml) water
• 1/2 cup (120g) brown rice
• 1/2 cup (120g) wild rice
• 1/2 cup (50g) each chopped onion, celery and apple
• 1 tbsp (14g) butter or margarine
• 1 tsp (1g) minced fresh sage
• 1/4 tsp (1g) pepper
• 2 cups (336g) California seedless red grapes
• Salt to taste
1. Bring broth and water to boil; add brown and wild rice. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 to 55 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
2. Sauté onion, celery and apples in butter; add sage and pepper. Add prepared rice and grapes; mix well. Adjust seasoning with salt if necessary. Place in one-quart covered baking dish and bake at 350⁰F for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
3. Serving suggestion: Serve with roasted poultry or meats, or add half cup each diced Anaheim chilies and corn to onion mixture and sauté. Continue preparation according to directions above. Serve in warm flour tortillas.
Nutritional information: Calories 188; Protein 7g; Fat 4g (15% calories from fat); Carbohydrates 34g; Cholesterol 1mg; Fibre 2.5g; Sodium 495mg.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- What Are Cost-Effective Ways to Raise Your Property Value? - June 2, 2023
- What to Do if Your Home Has Been Vandalized - June 2, 2023
- Signs Your Water Heater Needs Repair - June 2, 2023
Leave a Comment