Now is the time to dust off the grill and gather with friends and family over delicious and nutritious meals.
The perfect side dish for a summer barbecue is simple, fun and easy to make. This Black Rice Salad with Kiwifruit and Cashews side pairs well with any dish and looks great with a colourful pop of Zespri SunGold kiwifruit. Good to know: The SunGold variety is sweeter than a green kiwifruit, tastes like a cross between a mango and a strawberry, and is rich in potassium and vitamin C.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked and cooled black or brown rice*
- 2 Zespri SunGold kiwifruit, peeled and cut up
- 1 cup quartered strawberries
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup salted cashew pieces
- In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
- In large bowl, stir dressing into rice. Stir in remaining ingredients except cashews. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving to allow flavours to blend. Stir in cashews just before serving.
Tip: A serrated peeler works best for peeling kiwifruit.
Nutritional information per serving: 210 calories (80 calories from fat), 9g total f, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 0mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrates (3g (dietary fibre, 7g sugars), 4g protein. Daily Values: vitamin C 80%, calcium 2%, iron 6%.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Design Ideas for Your Custom Walk-in Closet - October 30, 2019
- Repairing Your Commercial Appliances: A Simple Guide - October 24, 2019
- What Is a VoIP Service? - October 15, 2019