For most of us, the transition from summer to fall can be tough. Long, sunny days and trips to the beach or pool are quickly replaced by cold, dark nights spent trying to warm up. As temperatures drop, we tend to lean towards comforting recipes featuring in-season produce.
To make the transition a little easier, try this classic velvety chowder that celebrates cool autumn nights. It’s made with Canadian milk, which is free of antibiotic residues or artificial bovine growth hormone, so you can feel good about serving this meal to your family.
Classic Maritime Seafood Chowder
Yields: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 5-10 mins
Cooking Time: 20-25 mins
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tsp (5 mL) dried dill or dried thyme
• 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
• 2 cups (500 mL) water or fish stock
• 1/3 cup (80 mL) all-purpose flour
• 3 cups (750 mL) milk
• 2 cups (500 mL) chopped raw skinless fish fillets or cooked seafood (shrimp, lobster, scallops, crab, clams, oysters), or a combination of both
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
• Whole grain crackers, crumbled
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté celery, onion, bay leaf, dill, salt and pepper for about five minutes or until onions start to brown. Stir in potatoes; sauté for two minutes.
2. Increase heat to medium-high; stir in water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and boil for about five minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
3. Whisk flour into milk and stir into pot; bring to a simmer, stirring often.
4. Stir in fish or seafood; simmer, stirring often for five minutes or until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork or seafood is hot. Discard bay leaf. Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Ladle into bowls and top each serving with crumbled crackers.
Find more recipes at www.qualitymilk.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018