- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, cut in 4
- 2 large red peppers, seeds removed and cut in half
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 litre chicken stock or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons DIRECTIONS
Place the vegetables, onions, tomatoes, peppers and garlic cloves on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil and salt. Roast in a 400°F oven for 40 minutes, turning the onions and peppers once. Next, peel away as much of the skin from the roasted peppers and tomatoes as you can.
In a large pot, add roasted vegetables and stock. Bring to a simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool a little. Purée the soup in batches in a blender or with a hand-held blender. Strain through a coarse sieve and add a little extra stock, if desired.
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
GRILLED CHEESE CROUTONS INGREDIENTS
- 4 slices bread (I used multigrain)
- 2 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 3-4 oz cheese, grated or sliced. (I used old cheddar)
Spread butter on both sides of each bread slice.
Heat a large frying pan over medium and lay 2 slices of bread in pan. Top each slice with cheese, then remaining bread. Cook, flipping halfway when cheese is melted and bread is golden. Remove from pan and let cool slightly. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with grilled cheese croutons.
Recipe by Rob Thomas, www.chefrob.ca
For more unique items for your home, click shopCHT.com.
For more unique items for your home, click here.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 5 House Plants That Thrive in Low-Light - March 29, 2023
- Six Key Benefits of Using a Waterproof Coating for Parking Lots - March 29, 2023
- Home Renos and Stress - March 29, 2023
Leave a Comment