Nothing says summer is here quite like coconuts and mangoes. Next time you're looking for a tasty warmer weather treat try this delightful creamy coconut mango rice pudding recipe that Tom Filippou, executive chef for President's Choice Cooking School, recommends for putting a fun summer twist on a classic dessert. “The sweet and rich PC Kent Mango combined with coconut creates an exotic, creamy rice pudding,” he says.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) PC Premium Medium Grain Sticky Rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) 2% milk
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- Half PC Black Label Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) of unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 PC flavour Burst Kent Mango
- Heat rice, sugar, salt, 2 cups (500 mL) of milk and the coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape seeds out; add seeds and pod to saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring frequently, or until rice is tender and mixture has thickened.
- Stir together yolks and 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk in bowl. Stir in half of rice pudding, then stir mixture back into the saucepan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring. Scrape mixture into bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding. Place bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice and water; let cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast coconut in small frying pan over medium-low heat, stirring until golden and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Let cool.
- Transfer rice pudding to refrigerator; chill for 90 minutes or until cold.
- Discard vanilla pod. Divide pudding among six dessert bowls. Peel and dice mango, then sprinkle mango and coconut over pudding and serve.
More recipe ideas are available online at pc.ca.