Design and Event Editor Evelyn Eshun shows us how we can transform a neutral palette in a living space to one full of life and colour.
Neutral Canvas: Mixed metals and textures are used to create a visually interesting, neutral space.
- HIGH-QUALITY SOFA AND CHAIRS in a neutral fabric allow you to easily update your look from season to season.
- USING BASKETS as a place to put blankets or pillows is a great way to eliminate clutter.
- BOOKS ARE A WONDERFUL ACCESSORY as well as a decorative touch.
Perfect Palette: Adding pops of colour in accessories and accent pieces gives the space a new look and feel.
- A SHOT OF GREEN from an interesting plant is an easy way to add colour.
- COLOURFUL CANDLES AND VASES add personality to a fireplace mantle.
- CONSIDER THE SPINE OF BOOKS and the shot of colour which they can bring to a room.
Evelyn’s Design Tips
- Evelyn Eshun with Moe (Apex Custom Fabrications) and Nando (Keystone Mechanical Group). The focal point of this space is a Valor 52” linear fireplace with complete installation by Keystone Mechanical Group. The fireplace was set into a seamless front leather black slate that was perfectly fabricated by Apex Custom Fabrications. When choosing and installing a fireplace, working with both the installer and stone fabricator as a one-stop shop makes it a smooth process.
- An open concept gathering area is a common design choice in today’s modern homes. A custom feature wall creates a strong statement within this space. Investment pieces like a sofa or area rug in neutral colours can help to stretch a dollar, while colourful pillows, throws and accessories that can be changed seasonally help add personality to the space.
- This room’s expansive space is warmed by a 52 inch linear L2 fireplace by Valor which creates a focal point as well as much needed warmth during cold winter days in the northern edges of Toronto, Ontario.
- When using a more neutral colour scheme, it is suggested to add texture to your design elements to create interest. When in doubt, add live plants, textured metals and other finishes.
- For functional coffee table décor, use a decorative tray to group all of those small items that tend to make a table look messy. Layer a few of your favourite books to create a “pedestal” and finish off the look with an accessory laid on top of the stack.
- Pillows are hands-down the best way to add colour and personality to your room. Consider seasonal swaps of pillows and coffee table books with your friends and colleagues in order to make a new statement each season!
- A colourful box can be used to store remotes and other unsightly items.
- Space Designed by Evelyn Eshun, www.evelyneshun.com;
- Photography Larry Arnal, www.arnalpix.com;
- Fireplace, Valor L2 Linear Fireplace through Keystone Mechanical, www.keystonemech.ca;
- Stonework, Apex Custom Fabrications, www.apexcustomfabrication.ca;
- Accessories, Crate & Barrel, www.crateandbarrel.ca;
- Books, Indigo, www.indigo.ca;
- Tray, Candles, Fur Throw and Boxes, HomeSense, www.homesense.ca;
- Area Rug, Weaver & Loom, www.weaverandloom.com;
- Sofas, Ottomans and Chairs, Gresham House, www.greshamhousefurniture.com;
- Cocktail Table, Elte, www.elte.com
Latest posts by Evelyn Eshun (see all)
- Bohemian VS Urban: Evelyn’s Dining Room Double Take - June 8, 2018
- Evelyn’s Light & Fresh Sophisticated Dining Room Design - June 8, 2018
- Evelyn’s Double Take: Changing With The Seasons - February 23, 2018