When preparing your home for market, the goal is to tackle improvements that will help you to obtain the best price and sell within the shortest amount of time.
“Sellers who tackle basic home improvements are able to present their homes at their best,” says JoAnn Jusdanis, broker-owner with Royal LePage Burloak Real Estate Services in Burlington, Ontario. “And, you don’t necessarily have to break the bank to make a big impact.”
Jusdanis suggests five inexpensive projects that can go a long way in generating offers:
1. Clear the decks. Counter space is extremely important for buyers, so be sure to store kitchen and bathroom items off the counters. Purchase wicker or linen baskets in several different sizes to enable you to clear the decks in a hurry and minimize clutter.
2. Brighten up storage spaces. Closets and cupboard space are big selling features. You can make the most of what you have by purging unused items and painting a light colour inside cupboards and closets. Adding battery-operated lighting is also an inexpensive way to brighten a dark closet.
3. Replace interior room and closet doors. Quickly and inexpensively brighten hallways and rooms by replacing interior doors and hardware. New white paneled doors and hardware can make a difference to a home. Look for discounts on doors at your local building centre.
4. Tear up dingy broadloom. You may be pleasantly surprised by what’s underneath. And even if you don’t like what you see, replacing broadloom is one of the least costly improvements you can make in terms of overall return on your dollar. Be sure to opt for a neutral colour.
5. Paint. Even high-end interior paints are a bargain when you look at what can be achieved with a fresh new finish. Opt for neutral colours, in matte or eggshell finishes to camouflage flaws in walls. Trim is best handled with a satin, semi- or high-gloss.
More information on preparing your home for sale is available at www.royallepage.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Designer Kitchen Renovation: At the Heart of It All - May 18, 2018
- Laid Back Kitchen Makeover - May 18, 2018
- Expert Advice: Kitchen Budget Priorities - May 18, 2018