- ¼ cup (50mL) butter
- 1lb (500g) fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75mL) flour
- 6 cups (1.5L) chicken broth
- ½ tsp (2mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup (50mL) chopped green onions
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ cup (125mL) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (25mL) minced parsley
- white pepper to taste
- In large heavy soup pot, melt butter over medium heat; sauté mushrooms for 5-6 minutes or until mixture from mushrooms has evaporated; sprinkle flour over mushrooms and cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add thyme, bay leaf and green onions; reduce heat and cover. Simmer 15- 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf. In small bowl whisk egg yolks with cream; stir 1cup (250 mL) hot broth into cream mixture and then return all to saucepan. Heat over low heat until hot about 5 minutes; add pepper to taste. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
NOTE: If table cream is substituted and allowed to boil it will curdle.
Variation: Add ¼ cup (50 mL) medium sherry.
More delicious recipes are available on the Mushrooms Canada website at www.mushrooms.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Getting Ready for IDS19 - January 14, 2019
- Furniture Staging Tips - January 14, 2019
- Design Trends and Real Estate: What You Need to Know - January 14, 2019