Here’s an easy and light dinner option that combines the fresh tastes of lime and jalapeno, and delivers healthy omega-3 fatty acids. This healthy salmon recipe considers the nutrition needs of people who live with diabetes. More tasty recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
- 1 cup (250 mL) English cucumber, diced
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) fresh mint, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lime zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) sea salt (optional)
- 4 salmon fillets (about 4 oz/120 g each)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sweet Thai chili sauce
- Toss the cucumber with the peanuts, mint, jalapeno (if using), lime juice, lime zest, sugar and half each of the pepper and salt (if using). Set aside.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a non-stick skillet or grill pan with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Season the salmon with the remaining pepper and salt (if using) and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until just coral in the centre.
- Brush the fish with the chili sauce just before removing from the skillet. Taste and adjust the seasonings of the relish as preferred. Spoon the relish over the salmon and serve this healthy salmon recipe.
Per serving (¼ recipe): 249 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 5.29 g monounsaturated fat, 4.73 g polyunsaturated fat, 1.88 mg omega-3, 0 g omega-6), 60 mg cholesterol, 336 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 4 g sugars, 25 g protein. Excellent source of niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. Good source of folate and magnesium.
Note: If you add the optional sea salt, the sodium increases to 531 mg per serving.
• Serve the relish over grilled lean steak or chicken instead of salmon.
• For a spicier relish, add more jalapeno and/or include the seeds.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018