These luscious squares are perfect at the holidays when time is tight but you need to bake for guests. They also make a lovely hostess gift. Package them up in a tin with some ribbon and they'll never guess you started with a cookie mix.
- 1-¼ cups (300 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pkg (500 g) PC Shortbread Cookie Mix
- 34 Individually wrapped caramel squares
- ½ cup (125 ml) 35% whipping cream
- 2-1/2 cups (625 ml) toasted pecan halves
- 2 bars (each 100 g) milk chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line rimmed 17 X 11-inch (43 X 28 cm) baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.
- In large bowl and using electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add cookie mix; beat on low speed for 30 seconds or until combined. Increase speed to medium; beat for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until mixture forms a mass. Dough will be soft. Place dough on prepared baking sheet. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top; using rolling pin, flatten dough evenly on baking sheet. Discard top layer of parchment paper.
- Bake in centre of oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden. Cool on baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, unwrap caramels; place in saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until smooth. Stir in cream. Remove from heat. Immediately pour over warm shortbread base. Tilt baking sheet to evenly distribute caramel. Sprinkle pecans evenly over surface.
- Place chocolate in microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave on High for 1 minute or until fully melted. Stir until smooth. Place in zippered plastic bag. Cut tip of one corner off; drizzle chocolate over pecans. Place in refrigerator to set.
- Cut into squares to serve; store cut squares in refrigerator.
More recipe ideas are available online at pc.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jo Alcorn’s Trends 2 Watch: Bathrooms - January 10, 2018
- Expert Advice: Getting the Best Bang for Your Bathroom Renovation Buck - January 10, 2018
- Accessing Your Home Equity: Remortgaging vs Home Equity Loans - January 2, 2018