125g baking dark chocolate 70% cocoa or baking bittersweet chocolate
1 Tbsp. Espresso powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsp. caster sugar
sweetened whipped cream
1. Melt chocolate and butter using the microwave or the double boiler method.*
2. Whisk in the espresso powder and chili powder.
3. Set aside to cool slightly while you proceed with other steps.
4. Whip the cream and beat it until stiff peaks form.
5. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
6. Whisk yolks until smooth.
7. Whip whites until ribbons form, add sugar and beat whites until firm peaks form.
8. Fold together all the ingredients. Fold egg yolks into cream using a rubber spatula (6-8 folds.) Some streaks is fine.
9. The chocolate should be between 40-45o Celsius.
10. Pour the chocolate into the cream yolk mixture. Fold through, (aim for 6-8 folds) some streaks are fine.
11. Add 1/4 of whipped egg whites into chocolate mixture. Fold until incorporated (8-10 folds.)
12. Pour chocolate mixture into egg whites. Fold through until incorporated (aim for 8-10 folds.) Streaks are fine with no egg white patches
1. Divide mixture between 4 small glasses.
2. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
3. To serve, garnish with whipping cream, chocolate shavings, raspberries and a tiny sprig of mint
CHOCOLATE Use baking chocolate as it melts more smoothly and is thinner than eating chocolate when melted.
EGGS Separate whites from yolks when eggs are cold. Egg whites fluff up better closer to room temperature, so set aside while you prep the other ingredients to let the whites come to temperature.
*DOUBLE BOILER METHOD Place a stainless steel or glass bowl on top of a pot with simmering water. Water should touch the bottom of the bowl. Place chocolate and butter inside bowl. When chocolate is melted, stir in espresso powder and chili powder until smooth.
*MICROWAVE METHOD 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth.