The days are getting shorter, the nights longer, and there's a definite chill in the air. To greet the autumn harvest moon, leaves are turning deep, rich, auburns, crimsons, and burnt oranges. It's the perfect time to cozy up to a crackling fire, with your favourite stick-to-your-ribs, hearty comfort foods. Melitta's French Onion Dark Brew Soup adds a unique twist to this classic. Hearty and filling, the deluxe European roast coffee gives the broth a depth of flavour and a silky texture.
- 5 cups Vidalia or Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt (first dash)
- 1 cup Melitta Deluxe Coffee (brewed)
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 oz. dark ale or stout
- 8 cups beef broth or stock, hot
- ½ tbsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. salt (second dash)
- 1 French-style baguette ½ cup grated gruyere or cheddar cheese
- Over low heat, in a large heavy bottomed pot, warm butter and oil. Add sliced onions and sprinkle with salt. Sauté, stirring occasionally for approximately 10 minutes. Onions will begin to colour and become very soft.
- Add coffee to onion mixture. Stir and continue to cook for further 10 minutes until coffee is absorbed.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Add ale or stout and beef broth. Return to heat and add balance of salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 40 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Preheat oven to 375◦F.
- Slice 8 slices (approximately ½ inch thick) of bread. Layout on baking sheet and top with grated cheese. Cook in preheated oven until cheese begins to bubble.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese covered bread.
- Last step? Sit back and savour every last drop of your indulgent treat.
More recipes can be found online at www.melitta.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Choosing The Right Flooring - June 21, 2019
- Bidets: 5 Common Myths & The Truth You Need To Know - June 21, 2019
- Kitchens We Love: Lindsay’s Multifunctional Family Kitchen - June 20, 2019