Forget traditional oatmeal. Quinoa is a gluten-free, protein-rich ancient grain that is easy to prepare. Enhanced with tender, diced California pears and cinnamon, this wholesome breakfast dish will become a family favourite.
- 1 cup Dry quinoa (250 mL)
- 1 cup Each apple juice and water (250 mL)
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup (30 mL)
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon (10 mL)
- 1/4 tsp Salt (1 mL)
- 2 Ripe California Bartlett pears, finely chopped
- Low fat vanilla or plain yogurt
- Toasted, sliced natural almonds
- Place quinoa, apple juice, water, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add pears and cook for 2 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Spoon warm quinoa into serving bowls. Garnish with yogurt, almonds and extra maple syrup to taste.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Yummy Christmas Mocktails Perfect for Christmas Dinner - November 12, 2018
- Candy Cane Pavlova - November 12, 2018
- Designer Space: Christmas Treasure Box - November 12, 2018