Western Canada features some of the most wholesome and delicious foods the country has to offer. With the summer months upon us, it is time to take advantage of these authentic Canadian ingredients.
Take Catelli Ancient Grains pasta, for example. Made with 100% whole grain Canadian wheat, this non GMO verified pasta is blended with five ancient grains: quinoa, amaranth, millet, sorghum, and teff is Non GMO Project Verified. And preparing a mouth-watering pasta dish has never been simpler. Culinary instructor and former winery chef at Mission Hill Family Estate, Michael Allemeier, has created an easy and delicious recipe that will guide your taste buds to bliss.
This recipe highlights something that west-coast pasta lovers already know well − nothing beats pairing simple, fresh ingredients with nutritious, hearty spaghettini.
- 1 pkg. (340 g) Catelli Ancient Grains Spaghettini
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 oz (300 g) mild Italian pork sausage (approx. 2 large sausages)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) garlic, peeled and coarsely minced
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) dried chili flakes
- 2 lbs (900 g) fresh clams
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) white wine or water
- 24 cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half
- 1 cup (250 mL) edamame, shucked
- 1 cup (250 mL) flat leaf parsley, washed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add 4 litres of water to a pot and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of salt to water. Bring to a boil.
- In a large pot or frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in sliced shallots and sausage meat and stir well to break up the sausage into small pieces. Cook until light brown, tender and fragrant (3-4 minutes). Once sausage meat is cooked, add in garlic and chili flakes and cook until garlic is fragrant (2-3 minutes).
- Add the fresh clams and cherry tomatoes to the sausage mixture. Add in white wine and turn heat up to high. Cover the pot or frying pan with a lid and steam. Once clams start to open, cook spaghettini according to package directions.
- Add the edamame to clams and sausage meat and stir well; turn heat down to low.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain well and add to sauce. Add in chopped parsley and toss well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately.
• Squeeze sausage meat out of casing; discard casing.
• Only buy fresh clams that are tightly closed. Do not buy any that are open or gasping. Rinse well with cold water just before cooking. Buy clams the day you want to cook them for best quality.
• Do not serve any clams that don't open.
• Look for shucked, ready to use edamame beans.
Looking for more culinary inspiration? Browse a rich collection of delicious recipes, cooking tips and real-life stories to help get you started at Catelli.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Getting Ready for IDS19 - January 14, 2019
- Furniture Staging Tips - January 14, 2019
- Design Trends and Real Estate: What You Need to Know - January 14, 2019