The larger mushrooms make an excellent vegetable accompaniment for dinner or use smaller mushrooms for appetizers.
- 8 large jumbo or stuffer fresh Mushrooms
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) shredded Swiss or old Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped, well drained, cooked spinach*
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) crisp cooked bacon bits or diced sundried tomatoes
- 2 finely minced, cloves garlic
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried basil
- ¼ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and finely chop. In a medium bowl, combine chopped stems, bread crumbs, Swiss cheese, spinach, bacon, garlic, basil, salt and mayonnaise; mix well. Brush oil on outside of mushroom caps. Spoon filling evenly into caps, mounding as necessary and place in shallow baking pan. Sprinkle Parmesan on top. Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are heated through.
- *Use frozen, thawed chopped spinach or cook fresh in microwave; be sure to press out the moisture.
Tip: Mushrooms could be cooked on a rack or in a pan on the barbecue. Variation: Substitute about 16-20 large mushrooms for jumbos or stuffers. More delicious recipe ideas are available online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- How to Accommodate Special Diets this Holiday Season - November 23, 2017
- Sunshine Kiwifruit Smoothie Bowl - November 21, 2017
- Honey Banana Pops - November 21, 2017