The popular brunch staple gets a holiday appetizer makeover in this phyllo-crusted pocket version. The avocado toast is a delicious combo of creamy avocado, fresh tomato, onion and tart lime, and is beautifully paired with a cilantro-sour cream for dipping. Serves eight for less than $0.70 each.
Avocado Toast Pockets
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 8 (5 pockets each)
• 2 avocados, diced
• 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen corn, thawed
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced red onion
• 2 tbsp. (30 mL) lime juice, divided
• 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
• 1 garlic clove, grated and divided
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
• 6 sheets phyllo pastry
• 2 tbsp. (30 mL) salted butter, melted
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 2/3 cup (160 mL) sour cream
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro, finely minced
1. Heat oven to 375F (190C). Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
2. Stir together avocado, tomato, corn, red onion, 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice, chili powder, half the garlic and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt in a medium bowl.
3. On clean counter top, place one sheet of pastry. Brush evenly with butter and top with another sheet, smoothing to flatten. Brush second sheet with butter and top with a third sheet. Cut sheet along the long edge into 5 even strips. Cut each strip in half crosswise and in half again to make 4, 3-inch (8 cm) squares. Repeat with remaining strips.
4. Fill one half of each square with 1 tbsp. (15 mL) filling, leaving a 1/2 inch (1 cm) border. Brush border with egg wash. Fold pointed edge of unfilled half over to create a triangle and press firmly to adhere to egg-washed edges. Place on prepared sheet and brush triangles with egg wash. Bake until golden; about 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining pastry sheets and filling.
5. Meanwhile, mix sour cream, cilantro, remaining lime juice, garlic and salt in a small bowl. Serve with pockets.
Find more great recipes online at walmart.ca/recipes.