The popular brunch staple gets a holiday appetizer makeover in this phyllo-crusted pocket version. The avocado toast is a delicious combo of creamy avocado, fresh tomato, onion and tart lime, and is beautifully paired with a cilantro-sour cream for dipping. Serves eight for less than $0.70 each.
Avocado Toast Pockets
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 8 (5 pockets each)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced red onion
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) lime juice, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, grated and divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) salted butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro, finely minced
- Heat oven to 375F (190C). Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
- Stir together avocado, tomato, corn, red onion, 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice, chili powder, half the garlic and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt in a medium bowl.
- On clean counter top, place one sheet of pastry. Brush evenly with butter and top with another sheet, smoothing to flatten. Brush second sheet with butter and top with a third sheet. Cut sheet along the long edge into 5 even strips. Cut each strip in half crosswise and in half again to make 4, 3-inch (8 cm) squares. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Fill one half of each square with 1 tbsp. (15 mL) filling, leaving a 1/2 inch (1 cm) border. Brush border with egg wash. Fold pointed edge of unfilled half over to create a triangle and press firmly to adhere to egg-washed edges. Place on prepared sheet and brush triangles with egg wash. Bake until golden; about 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining pastry sheets and filling.
- Meanwhile, mix sour cream, cilantro, remaining lime juice, garlic and salt in a small bowl. Serve with pockets.
Find more great recipes online at walmart.ca/recipes.
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 5 House Plants That Thrive in Low-Light - March 21, 2023
- Six Key Benefits of Using a Waterproof Coating for Parking Lots - March 21, 2023
- Home Renos and Stress - March 21, 2023
Leave a Comment