The popular brunch staple gets a holiday appetizer makeover in this phyllo-crusted pocket version. The avocado toast is a delicious combo of creamy avocado, fresh tomato, onion and tart lime, and is beautifully paired with a cilantro-sour cream for dipping. Serves eight for less than $0.70 each.
Avocado Toast Pockets
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 8 (5 pockets each)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced red onion
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) lime juice, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, grated and divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) salted butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro, finely minced
- Heat oven to 375F (190C). Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
- Stir together avocado, tomato, corn, red onion, 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice, chili powder, half the garlic and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt in a medium bowl.
- On clean counter top, place one sheet of pastry. Brush evenly with butter and top with another sheet, smoothing to flatten. Brush second sheet with butter and top with a third sheet. Cut sheet along the long edge into 5 even strips. Cut each strip in half crosswise and in half again to make 4, 3-inch (8 cm) squares. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Fill one half of each square with 1 tbsp. (15 mL) filling, leaving a 1/2 inch (1 cm) border. Brush border with egg wash. Fold pointed edge of unfilled half over to create a triangle and press firmly to adhere to egg-washed edges. Place on prepared sheet and brush triangles with egg wash. Bake until golden; about 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining pastry sheets and filling.
- Meanwhile, mix sour cream, cilantro, remaining lime juice, garlic and salt in a small bowl. Serve with pockets.
Find more great recipes online at walmart.ca/recipes.