We sat down with Mike Holmes and his children, Sherry and Mike Jr., to discuss the past, present and future.
LOOKING BACK AT THE LAST 15 YEARS, WHAT IS THE BIGGEST CHANGE?
- MIKE HOLMES Being on TV has made me pretty recognizable. I can’t go anywhere without being stopped by fans saying, “Hey Mike, have I got a story for you!”
- SHERRY I get to be a voice for women in the trades. Giving both television and construction a try has been the best decision I could have ever made.
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT?
- MIKE HOLMES Helping young people and parents understand that a career in skilled trades is viable and lucrative.
- SHERRY My daughter. I made a person! I didn’t think I would be able to balance my career, personal life and family, but I couldn’t imagine it being any different now!
TRENDS YOU’VE LOVED OR HATED?
- MIKE HOLMES Concrete countertops! Worst idea ever! Concrete is way too porous, always cracks and stains like crazy.
- MIKE JR Wallpaper. It’s back in and I love it. Not the way they used to do it in the 80s and 90s but I think it’s great to use as an accent wall or to give a little more depth to a room.
ADVICE I’D GIVE MY YOUNGER SELF
- MIKE HOLMES Learn to say no more often and remember that everything takes longer than we think.
- MIKE JR Don’t be afraid to try new things. Outside the box thinking is where fun exists.
I’D LOVE A 15 YEAR SUPPLY OF…
- MIKE HOLMES Oatmeal raisin cookies and licorice!
- MIKE JR A paid mortgage on a home in the Swiss Alps.
- SHERRY Plane tickets to anywhere I want to go.
IN THE NEXT 15 YEARS I HOPE TO…
- MIKE HOLMES Spend more time on my boat and with my grandkids.
- MIKE JR Spend quality time with my family.
- SHERRY Get back to traveling so I can show my daughter what the world has to offer.
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.