“Fall favorites like brussel sprouts and butternut squash make a great side dish that can easily be a main course.”
1 sm to med butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 ½ lb brussel sprouts, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
6 thick-cut bacon slices, cut crosswise into
1/4” pieces 1 shallot (or 1/3 cup of red onion), diced small 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp grainy dijon mustard
6 Tbsp olive oil kosher salt, to taste freshly ground pepper, to taste
BUTTERNUT SQUASH DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, drizzle butternut squash with olive oil, toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread out in a single layer.
3. Roast for 30 minutes or until the squash is tender and lightly browned. Set aside.
BRUSSEL SPROUTS DIRECTIONS
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add the brussel sprouts and cook until just tender, 3-5 minutes.
3. Drain and set aside.
1. Place the bacon in a large frying pan or skillet, then turn heat up to medium.
2. Cook the bacon until browned and slightly crispy (8 to 10 minutes).
3. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
4. Pour all but 2 Tbsp of the fat into a heatproof bowl and reserve.
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, brown sugar and mustard.
2. Slowly whisk in 5 Tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Set the vinaigrette aside.
1. In the same pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 Tbsp of the reserved bacon fat.
2. Place the brussel sprouts, cut side down, in the pan.
3. Add the red onion and butternut squash on top.
4. Cook, without moving the brussel spouts, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they are browned.
5. Stir all the ingredients, adding the fresh thyme and half of the bacon.
6. Cook for two more minutes.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl.
8. Dress with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the vegetables (you may not need all of it), then top with the remaining bacon and serve immediately.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Remote Schooling: Creating a Dedicated eLearning Space - September 19, 2021
- Create a Guest Bathroom for Outdoor Entertaining - September 19, 2021
- Educational Travel Ideas for Families - September 19, 2021