Harvest Vegetable Curry
Serve this colourful and flavourful main-course vegetable dish over couscous, bulgur or brown rice. The chickpeas and grain complement each other to form complete protein.
- 2 carrots, sliced 2
- 2 cups cubed peeled squash (about 1-inch/2.5 cm pieces) 500 mL
- 2 cups broccoli florets 500 mL
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips 1
- 1 small (6-inch/15 cm) yellow zucchini, cut in chunks 1
- 1 red onion, cut in thin wedges 1
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed 1
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 2 tbsp minced gingerroot 25 mL
- 1 tbsp curry powder or paste 15 mL
- 1 tsp ground cumin 5 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 3
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes 1 mL
- ½ cup sodium-reduced vegetable broth or water 125 mL
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice 25 mL
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice, couscous or bulgur 750 mL
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) or parsley 50 mL
- Steam carrots and squash for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, red pepper, zucchini and red onion; steam for 5 minutes. Add chickpeas; steam for 3 to 5 minutes or until all vegetables are tender- crisp.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook gingerroot, curry powder, cumin, garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add broth and lemon juice; simmer, covered, of 2 minutes. Toss vegetables with sauce.
- Serve over hot rice. Sprinkle with coriander or parsley.
“Excerpted from Lighthearted at Home. Copyright (c) 2010 by Anne Lindsay & Associates Ltd. Excerpted with permission of the publisher John Wiley & Sons Canada, Ltd.”
Recipe Courtesy of CanadianHomeTrends.com
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- What Are Cost-Effective Ways to Raise Your Property Value? - June 1, 2023
- What to Do if Your Home Has Been Vandalized - June 1, 2023
- Signs Your Water Heater Needs Repair - June 1, 2023