By Kary Osmond Everyday on my cooking show, Best Recipes Ever, I search Canadian Living’s massive recipe archive and make the most delicious ‘Tested Till Perfect’ dishes. When a friend asked me to make an appetizer for her holiday party last year, I searched the recipe library for the perfect crowd-pleasing dish and I found the best dip ever! A Mexican layered dip is always a big hit, but I found a twist on that old classic — this Layered Hummus Dip. I love it for so many reasons: everything can be prepped ahead of time, it’s healthier than the Mexican version, and it’s topped with festive, colourful, crunchy vegetables. Tip: Prepare all the ingredients in advance and assemble it just before you’re ready to serve — a perfectly portable holiday hit!
- 2 cups (500 mL) Balkan-style plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped sweet red peppers
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped cucumbers
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 2 19oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) tahini
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 4 garlic, minced
- Place yogurt in cheesecloth-lined strainer set over bowl; let drain in refrigerator until reduced to 1-1/4 cups (300 mL), about 2 hours. Discard watery whey in bowl. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.).
- Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, mix together chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, water, oil, cumin and salt until smooth; stir in garlic.
- Spoon into shallow glass serving dish, about 8 inches (2 L) square; spread evenly. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
- Spread yogurt over hummus. Sprinkle with red pepper, cucumber, onions, feta cheese and coriander.
More holiday entertaining tips and great recipes are available at http://www.cbc.ca/bestrecipes/.