Scott McGillivray is host of television’s Income Property airing Mondays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on HGTV.
(NC)—A fantastic kitchen is one of the most effective ways to up the value of your home and attract a great tenant. There are lots of quick and easy ways to upgrade your kitchen that don’t have to cost the bank.
1. Paint will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Choose an eggshell finish for the walls and if you decided to paint cupboards prep them by sanding before applying a suitable kitchen cupboard paint.
2. Changing the hardware is one of the easiest and most inexpensive things you can do to update your kitchen and give it a more modern look. Take one of the old knobs to the store with you and replace them with the same size.
3. Counters can really date a place and because they are a working surface can show their age – replacing a counter is a modest investment that makes a great impression to the overall appeal and function of the space.
4. New appliances can be a bit of an investment up front but can pay off in the long run with greater energy efficiency, which will mean lower hydro bills and a modern sleek look.
5. Changing the light fixtures and the faucets are two other ways to easily transform your kitchen.
These are all inexpensive do-it-yourself ways to increase the value of your space and get a great return on investment.