Mushroom, Apple, and Walnut Stuffed Acorn Squash
These savoury stuffed squash are an easy accompaniment to a festive meal or casual weeknight dinner. Meaty mushrooms add beautiful texture to the stuffing while apples add a layer of tartness and bite.
- 4 small to medium-sized acorn squash
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 8 oz (227 g) fresh mixed mushrooms (portabella, shiitake, oyster), coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, thinly diced
- 2 Ontario apples, peeled and finely diced• 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 small loaf of day old sourdough or French bread, cut into 1/4 inch cubes (approximately 5 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and season the inside with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake about 30 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat olive oil. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add celery and continue to sauté for 5 minutes. Lower heat and add apples. Continue to cook until apples become tender, about 5 minutes. Add butter, sage, and vegetable stock. Heat just until butter is melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place chopped walnuts and diced bread in a large bowl. Pour warm vegetable stock mixture over bread. Using your hands, toss the bread until it's well coated and most of the stock is absorbed.
- Remove squash from oven and turn it cut side up. Divide the stuffing among each squash half and spoon into the cavity of each squash until filled. Return to 350°F (175°C) oven and bake until stuffing is golden brown, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot alongside a festive ham or weeknight roast chicken.
Tip: Use Ontario Idared, Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp, or Empire apples.
Find more locally inspired meals online at mushrooms.ca.
Attention editors: This article is for distribution in Ontario only.
Recipe Courtesy of CanadianHomeTrends.com
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 5 House Plants That Thrive in Low-Light - April 1, 2023
- Six Key Benefits of Using a Waterproof Coating for Parking Lots - April 1, 2023
- Home Renos and Stress - April 1, 2023
Leave a Comment