This almost one-pot meal merges the best of two cultures, with Thai taste and the short grain creamy rice of Italy. It has two full servings of vegetables, about half of your daily protein and much less fat than a typical Thai Curry. Impress your family and friends with this tasty, almond inspired take on a classic dish.
- 2-3 leeks, sliced and divided (about 2 cups)
- 946 mL Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original
- 1-2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon dried unsweetened coconut
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 red and/or yellow sliced bell peppers
- 1 ½ cups Arborio or Italian style rice
- 1 bunch chopped basil
- In a large pot over medium high heat, combine about half of the leeks, Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original, Thai paste and dried coconut. Bring to a boil and add chicken breast to poach and reduce heat to a low boil for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, warm coconut oil and sauté remaining half of the leeks, garlic and peppers for 5 minutes or so to sweat. Stir in brown rice to coat for 1 minute.
- Add Almond Breeze/chicken mixture to rice pot one cup at a time and stir in.
- Turn rice pot to low, cover and allow to cook through for about 12 to 15 minutes. Stir often until all liquid is absorbed. If the rice absorbs too quickly, add some chicken broth or wine to create a creamy dish. Garnish with a generous heap of basil.
For more information and cooking inspiration, visit www.almondbreeze.ca