Roasted Beets – WITH MORE TIME AT HOME AND LESS ACCESS TO OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT EATS, CANADIANS ARE EXPERIMENTING IN THE KITCHEN AND ELEVATING THEIR HOME COOKED MEALS.
If you’re looking to add a dash of history and tradition to your dinner, consider adding authentic foods imported from the European Union. Grocery stores remain stocked with a range of authentic European foods to try. Thanks to Canada’s free trade agreement with the European Union, they are more affordable than ever. When you pair the unique texture of Polish cottage cheese with a salty Italian Prosciutto di Parma PDO, you’ve got an easy summer appetizer. – Mark McEwan- Chef/Owner of The McEwan Group. Prepared in collaboration with the European Union campaign More Than Food Canada. – www.morethanfood.ca
Roasted Beets with Polish Cottage Cheese and Italian Prosciutto di Parma PDO
- 1/2 lb organic beets (a variety of shapes and colors – pink, yellow and purple)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 300g jar Le Conserva della
- Nonna Cipolline onions in Balsamico di Modena PDO
- 1/4 loaf of Westfälischer Pumpernickel PGI bread
- 1 250g package of Polish cottage cheese (or fresh soft ricotta, or labneh)
- 1/3 cup Italian Prosciutto di Parma PDO, thinly sliced
- 1 head baby gem lettuce
- 1 head blonde frissee lettuce
- 1 jar Italian truffle honey
Boil each color beet in its own pot until fork tender. Remove from water and peel. Cut into various shapes and sizes.
Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Roast beets until well colored then remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Pour entire contents of jarred onions into a pot.
Cook over medium heat until onions are softened and liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Cut a few in half and leave some whole.
Thinly slice Westfälischer Pumpernickel PGI bread and bake at 350°F until crispy. Break into large rustic pieces.
To assemble, smear the Polish cottage cheese in an oval on a dark colored plate. Place the beets around the cheese, making sure to not cover the bright white cheese. Place a few pumpernickel crisps standing up against the beets to add height. Drape a couple pieces of torn Italian Prosciutto di Parma PDO around the salad, making sure to keep height and not hide any other ingredients. Remove leaves from baby gem and only use the baby center. Add a few leaves around the plate. Cut a few nice pieces of the blonde frisée and place around plate to add contrast. Spoon a few braised onions with its liquid around the salad. Finish with a drizzle of Italian truffle honey.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Sweet Valentine’s Day Table Ideas - January 23, 2021
- Homemade Valentine’s Day Ideas For Him - January 23, 2021
- Potential Signs that You Need to Replace Your Roof - January 23, 2021