Clutter-free start the New Year – Are your closets taking on a life of their own? Do you keep forgetting where you left your house keys? Has the pile of bills and mail on your kitchen table gotten to the point where it’s spilling over? If you are nodding your head right now, then clutter and chaos have crept into your home. Start the New Year on the right foot. It’s time to apply the ever-popular notion “out with the old and in with the new” to where it’s most needed: your home.
The thought of where to start may be overwhelming, so it’s best to take on a small project like your linen closet or medicine cabinet.
If you have not yet been introduced to an electronic labeller, it’s time to get one. A labeller will be your best friend throughout the organizational process. Go for a lightweight handheld model such as the PT-1090 from Brother, available at office supply stores or online at brother.ca
The Four Container Method
If you apply this simple system to getting organized, you’ll save yourself lots of headaches. Get four boxes and label them as such:
1. Trash—this should include items that you don’t need and are not in good enough condition to sell or donate.
2. Donate/Sell—think about the use someone else might get out of your unwanted items by donating to a charitable organization or selling them at a garage sale. An electronic labeller can also be a handy way to price-tag everything.
3. Store—put items in here that you cannot part with but do not need on a regular basis. Make an inventory of the items before you box them. Group similar items together and clearly label each box before you store it.
4. Keep—this should be your smallest category. These are items that you use on a regular basis. If the items in this box will not fit into your home without creating clutter, try to reassess if you really need them. A good rule to follow is if you have not used or worn it in over two years, then you do not need it.
Pick Three Things and Throw Them Out
If you’re having a hard time letting go of items, here’s a tip for you. Start by picking three things. Starting off small will get you in the mood to clear out more space. Feels good, doesn’t it? You don’t need to stop at just three items. If you see more obvious candidates for the trash, get rid of them!
And finally, you do not have to do this on your own. Partner up with a friend to help you get started. Work together one weekend to weed out her closet, and the next weekend, do the same for yours.
For more great decor ideas, click here.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 5 House Plants That Thrive in Low-Light - March 23, 2023
- Six Key Benefits of Using a Waterproof Coating for Parking Lots - March 23, 2023
- Home Renos and Stress - March 23, 2023
Leave a Comment