This salad comes together in no time and can be served as a light lunch or supper, or even for a hearty breakfast. It features bacon and uses its fat for frying mushrooms and diced onions. Cooked lentils are added next, then tossed in a Dijon mustard and red wine vinaigrette. Arugula and tomatoes add a punch of colour and amp up the flavour. Who doesn't love a good, fried egg? Set atop this delicious salad, it makes it almost too pretty to eat. Almost.
- 10 bacon slices
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 200g cremini mushrooms, quartered if large, halved if small
- 2 cups green or beluga lentils, cooked
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tbsp canola or grapeseed oil
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towel. When cool enough, chop into small pieces.
- Keep heat on medium high and add the onions and mushrooms. Pan fry until mushrooms are golden and onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cooked lentils. Stir to coat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, Dijon, and honey. Pour this over the mushroom/lentil mixture and stir well. Spoon the mixture into a large bowl and add the chopped bacon, arugula, tomatoes, and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Wipe out skillet. Over medium high heat, add oil. Fry eggs to preferred doneness while you portion salad onto 4 plates. Top each salad with a fried egg.
Find more holiday inspiration at www.mushrooms.ca.
Attention editors: This article is for distribution in Ontario only.